Dr. Nick Barton was educated in the University of London from 1963 to 1970, and has a B.Sc. in civil engineering from King’s College, and a Ph.D. on rock slope stability from Imperial College. He worked for two periods in the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Oslo, eventually as Division Director, then Technical Advisor, and was also four years in the USA, becoming Manager of Geomechanics in Terra Tek, now Schlumberger. Since 2001 he has had his own international rock engineering consultancy, registered as Nick Barton & Associates in Oslo, and also has an office in São Paulo. He has consulted on projects in 34 countries, and published widely (260 papers, and two text books). He has five international awards and was elected a Doctor honoris causa in Argentina. Recently he was selected for the 6th Mueller Award of ISRM, a lecture to be given in Beijing 2011.
- XIII International Symposium on Landslides (XIII ISL) - Cartagena, Colombia, 15-19 June 2020 2019/10/08
- The Fall 2019 ISRM newsletter is online 2019/09/29
- 27th ISRM Online Lecture by Dr. Derek Elsworth is online 2019/09/25
- 2019-2023 ISRM Board 2019/09/20
- The News Release of the 2019 Council meeting is available for download. 2019/09/16