Dr. Nick Barton was educated in the University of London from 1963 to 1970, and has a B.Sc. in civil engineering from King’s College, and a Ph.D. on rock slope stability from Imperial College. He worked for two periods in the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Oslo, eventually as Division Director, then Technical Advisor, and was also four years in the USA, becoming Manager of Geomechanics in Terra Tek, now Schlumberger. Since 2001 he has had his own international rock engineering consultancy, registered as Nick Barton & Associates in Oslo, and also has an office in São Paulo. He has consulted on projects in 34 countries, and published widely (260 papers, and two text books). He has five international awards and was elected a Doctor honoris causa in Argentina. Recently he was selected for the 6th Mueller Award of ISRM, a lecture to be given in Beijing 2011.
- Free Online Course in Reservoir Geomechanics by Professor Mark Zoback, Stanford University 2018/02/15
- 21st ISRM online lecture by Prof. Laura Pyrak-Nolte on 15th March 2018/02/02
- A tribute to Prof. Don Deere, 1922-2018 2018/01/23
- A tribute to Prof. Z.T. Richard Bieniawski, 1936-2017 2018/01/13
- The 2017 Winter ISRM newsletter is online 2017/12/31