Dr. Nick Barton was educated in the University of London from 1963 to 1970, and has a B.Sc. in civil engineering from King’s College, and a Ph.D. on rock slope stability from Imperial College. He worked for two periods in the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Oslo, eventually as Division Director, then Technical Advisor, and was also four years in the USA, becoming Manager of Geomechanics in Terra Tek, now Schlumberger. Since 2001 he has had his own international rock engineering consultancy, registered as Nick Barton & Associates in Oslo, and also has an office in São Paulo. He has consulted on projects in 34 countries, and published widely (260 papers, and two text books). He has five international awards and was elected a Doctor honoris causa in Argentina. Recently he was selected for the 6th Mueller Award of ISRM, a lecture to be given in Beijing 2011.
- International Workshop on Underground Oil/gas - website is now open 2019/05/10
- 2018 News Journal is online 2019/05/03
- Election of the Regional ISRM Vice Presidents 2019-2023 2019/04/15
- 25th Online Lecture by Prof. Prof. Derek Martin is now online 2019/03/21
- New video on the Basic Friction Angle by means of Tilt Test 2019/03/07